Thursday, March 29, 2012

excel formatting problem... could this be a bug?

Okay, I'll try my best to explain this....
I have a table on my report. Above the header for 5 of my columns, I need
to place a cell that spans all those columns. It looks like this:
--
| h |
--
| h | h | h | h | h |
--
| d | d | d | d | d |
--
h = header row
d = detail row
so, to do this I took the header cell for the left most column and merged it
with the
4 other header cells. Then I put a rectangle into that cell, and drew a
line through the middle to create the two level effect in the single header
cell. Then, where each 'h' is in the above diagram, I put a text box with
some text in it that serves as a label. So, basically all 5 of my detail
columns have their own individual header, as well as a header that applies to
all of them.
When I run the report, and export it to PDF, everything looks great. When I
export to excel, I get a strange effect. SRS seems to want to put the cell
for the textbox in the bottom right most 'cell' in the header in a row below
the other 4 in the second header 'row'.. So, it looks like this in Excel:
--
| h |
--
| h | h | h | h | |
--
| h |
| --|
| d | d | d | d | d |
--
h = header row
d = detail row
Anybody have any idea what's going on here? If I remove the 5th text box in
the header (the one that's causing the problem), excel formats fine.
It would be nice if I could merge cells across rows as well as columns,
because that would make this problem trivial.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jeff
JeffJeff,
Have you tried inserting a second table header row above the original table
header row? Then do the merging on the inserted header row. I just did this
on a report at my work. Doing so gave me this effect:
| H1 |
|H1|H2|H3|H4|
|D1|D2|D3|D4|
H1 = Table header inserted by me.
H2 = Orginal header inserted by RS
D..= Detail records
To do this right click on the handle for the exisitng table header row and
click Insert Row Above. The formatting stayed when I downloaded the report
to Excel. Hope this helps.
"Jeff" wrote:
> Okay, I'll try my best to explain this....
> I have a table on my report. Above the header for 5 of my columns, I need
> to place a cell that spans all those columns. It looks like this:
> --
> | h |
> --
> | h | h | h | h | h |
> --
> | d | d | d | d | d |
> --
> h = header row
> d = detail row
> so, to do this I took the header cell for the left most column and merged it
> with the
> 4 other header cells. Then I put a rectangle into that cell, and drew a
> line through the middle to create the two level effect in the single header
> cell. Then, where each 'h' is in the above diagram, I put a text box with
> some text in it that serves as a label. So, basically all 5 of my detail
> columns have their own individual header, as well as a header that applies to
> all of them.
> When I run the report, and export it to PDF, everything looks great. When I
> export to excel, I get a strange effect. SRS seems to want to put the cell
> for the textbox in the bottom right most 'cell' in the header in a row below
> the other 4 in the second header 'row'.. So, it looks like this in Excel:
> --
> | h |
> --
> | h | h | h | h | |
> --
> | h |
> | --|
> | d | d | d | d | d |
> --
>
> h = header row
> d = detail row
> Anybody have any idea what's going on here? If I remove the 5th text box in
> the header (the one that's causing the problem), excel formats fine.
> It would be nice if I could merge cells across rows as well as columns,
> because that would make this problem trivial.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Jeff
> Jeff|||Hmmm.
I vaguely remember trying something like this, but maybe I didn't set it up
right. I'll give it another shot. Thanks.
"bsod55" wrote:
> Jeff,
> Have you tried inserting a second table header row above the original table
> header row? Then do the merging on the inserted header row. I just did this
> on a report at my work. Doing so gave me this effect:
> | H1 |
> |H1|H2|H3|H4|
> |D1|D2|D3|D4|
> H1 = Table header inserted by me.
> H2 = Orginal header inserted by RS
> D..= Detail records
> To do this right click on the handle for the exisitng table header row and
> click Insert Row Above. The formatting stayed when I downloaded the report
> to Excel. Hope this helps.
> "Jeff" wrote:
> > Okay, I'll try my best to explain this....
> >
> > I have a table on my report. Above the header for 5 of my columns, I need
> > to place a cell that spans all those columns. It looks like this:
> >
> > --
> > | h |
> > --
> > | h | h | h | h | h |
> > --
> > | d | d | d | d | d |
> > --
> >
> > h = header row
> > d = detail row
> >
> > so, to do this I took the header cell for the left most column and merged it
> > with the
> > 4 other header cells. Then I put a rectangle into that cell, and drew a
> > line through the middle to create the two level effect in the single header
> > cell. Then, where each 'h' is in the above diagram, I put a text box with
> > some text in it that serves as a label. So, basically all 5 of my detail
> > columns have their own individual header, as well as a header that applies to
> > all of them.
> >
> > When I run the report, and export it to PDF, everything looks great. When I
> > export to excel, I get a strange effect. SRS seems to want to put the cell
> > for the textbox in the bottom right most 'cell' in the header in a row below
> > the other 4 in the second header 'row'.. So, it looks like this in Excel:
> >
> > --
> > | h |
> > --
> > | h | h | h | h | |
> > --
> > | h |
> > | --|
> > | d | d | d | d | d |
> > --
> >
> >
> > h = header row
> > d = detail row
> >
> > Anybody have any idea what's going on here? If I remove the 5th text box in
> > the header (the one that's causing the problem), excel formats fine.
> >
> > It would be nice if I could merge cells across rows as well as columns,
> > because that would make this problem trivial.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> >
> > Jeff
> > Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment