Monday, March 26, 2012

Excel DSN Query

I have an excel spreadsheet that I have created a query using a DSN to access a sql database. My question; is there a way to change the DSN without creating a new query?

I have a SQL database that is used as a backend to an accounting application. Currently many upper management users have created spreadsheets to pull reports from this database using the backend (DSN connection). Since this is a production database I have created a script to restore the nightly backup to another server and I have denied access to the production server backend. Now I have many spreadsheets with queries set up to use a DSN connection to the production database. I would like to know if there is a known way or script to change the DSN without creating new queries.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

SboivinGO to Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Data Sources (ODBC)

Find DSN you used in your queries and hit Configure. Here you can change server name or just follow directions.

Don't change DSN name itself. This way when queries will refer to this DSN they will be pointed to a right server.

Good Luck.|||

Quote:

Originally Posted by iburyak

GO to Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Data Sources (ODBC)

Find DSN you used in your queries and hit Configure. Here you can change server name or just follow directions.

Don't change DSN name itself. This way when queries will refer to this DSN they will be pointed to a right server.

Good Luck.


Good idea but I can't actually do this because we have an application that uses this DSN which connects to the original production database.

Thanks tho...

No comments:

Post a Comment