Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Excel Export error in RS200SP2 when nesting tables within matirx

I was hoping someone could help out with this issue....I've got a report I created in Reporting Services 2000 SP2 where I am nesting table elements within the row and detail sections of the matrix. This allows me to have multiple items within my "row" data with column headings, and works perfectly fine within the designer, and viewer, and whenever I export it to any format other than Excel. Exporting to excel results in a "Specified cast is not valid" error.

To me this seems to be a bug in the Excel rendering extension, since it seems to be supported in RDL. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a fix to the renderer or a workaround that anyone is aware of?

I'd be happy to post the RDL if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Casey

The Excel rendering extension does not support exporting nested tables within tables/matrices, so this won't work for you. The behavior is documented in books online somewhere.

However, normally the "nested" region should simply be exported as a blank space without throwing an error. A bug was reported on this problem, and it is fixed in 2005 (by "fixed", you still won't be able to export nested data regions, but you won't get an error).

|||

That's cool....I figured it wouldn't work, but thought it worth a try. I using nested tables mostly to give me the ability to add headers to rowgroup items, which I was able to reproduce visually by dropping a rectangle object on the matrix and arranging textboxes to simulate the table headers.

Thanks for the response.

|||

Were you able to find a workaround for exporting the nested tables to Excel?|||Not really, it looks like the limitation is in the Excel renderer. What I was able to do in my case which helped was to embed rectangles within the matrix column headers and add multiple text boxes within them. For the report I was working on that gave me the ability to approximate the format I was wanting. Not perfect, but good enough.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment