Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Excel Export Error - Excel Can't Open File, CPU 100% Utilization

I've got an issue I cannot seem to address. We've upgraded to SP1, and I
still am not able to open Excel files exported from Reporting Services if
they contain more than a few hundred rows.
For example, I have a report which contains 1453 records. Exporting to an
Excel takes a few minutes, then generates a 7 MB file. Attempting to open
that file in Excel 2003 pegs my CPU utlilzation at 100%, and Excel steadily
consumes 8K of RAM per second, yet nothing happens. Excel will either
display as "Not Responding" in Task Manager, or will display "Running" and I
cannot switch back to Excel.
I can export to CSV and Excel will open it with no issues. However,
exporting to Excel is critical to our business' use of Reporting Services.
Please advise if anyone has a workaround or is encountering this issue.
--
Aaron Berquist
Business Systems Analyst, Information Services
Open Text CorporationCould you send me the excel file generated for a smaller number rows,
please?
--
Nico Cristache [MSFT]
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
news:e0DFZ2BaEHA.3404@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I've got an issue I cannot seem to address. We've upgraded to SP1, and I
> still am not able to open Excel files exported from Reporting Services if
> they contain more than a few hundred rows.
> For example, I have a report which contains 1453 records. Exporting to an
> Excel takes a few minutes, then generates a 7 MB file. Attempting to open
> that file in Excel 2003 pegs my CPU utlilzation at 100%, and Excel
steadily
> consumes 8K of RAM per second, yet nothing happens. Excel will either
> display as "Not Responding" in Task Manager, or will display "Running" and
I
> cannot switch back to Excel.
> I can export to CSV and Excel will open it with no issues. However,
> exporting to Excel is critical to our business' use of Reporting Services.
> Please advise if anyone has a workaround or is encountering this issue.
> --
> Aaron Berquist
> Business Systems Analyst, Information Services
> Open Text Corporation
>|||Any progress on this issue?
"Nico Cristache [MSFT]" <nipirvan@.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eU3AjxCaEHA.4052@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Could you send me the excel file generated for a smaller number rows,
> please?
> --
> Nico Cristache [MSFT]
> Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
>
> "Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
> news:e0DFZ2BaEHA.3404@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > I've got an issue I cannot seem to address. We've upgraded to SP1, and I
> > still am not able to open Excel files exported from Reporting Services
if
> > they contain more than a few hundred rows.
> >
> > For example, I have a report which contains 1453 records. Exporting to
an
> > Excel takes a few minutes, then generates a 7 MB file. Attempting to
open
> > that file in Excel 2003 pegs my CPU utlilzation at 100%, and Excel
> steadily
> > consumes 8K of RAM per second, yet nothing happens. Excel will either
> > display as "Not Responding" in Task Manager, or will display "Running"
and
> I
> > cannot switch back to Excel.
> >
> > I can export to CSV and Excel will open it with no issues. However,
> > exporting to Excel is critical to our business' use of Reporting
Services.
> >
> > Please advise if anyone has a workaround or is encountering this issue.
> > --
> > Aaron Berquist
> > Business Systems Analyst, Information Services
> > Open Text Corporation
> >
> >
>|||Well, I solved the problem!
The header on the report was causing the issue, as the fields were not lined
up with the data columns on my report, so I think Excel was goign nuts
trying to parse out all the merged columns. By making sure that the
descriptions in the header matched eneded at the same point as a column, the
file now takes about 50 secs to open on a Pentium 3 1Ghz machine.
So, when designing a header, make sure your test boxes line up with your
columns!
Thanks,
Aaron
"Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
news:erwtoi$bEHA.2408@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Any progress on this issue?
> "Nico Cristache [MSFT]" <nipirvan@.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:eU3AjxCaEHA.4052@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Could you send me the excel file generated for a smaller number rows,
> > please?
> >
> > --
> > Nico Cristache [MSFT]
> > Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> >
> >
> > "Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
> > news:e0DFZ2BaEHA.3404@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > I've got an issue I cannot seem to address. We've upgraded to SP1, and
I
> > > still am not able to open Excel files exported from Reporting Services
> if
> > > they contain more than a few hundred rows.
> > >
> > > For example, I have a report which contains 1453 records. Exporting to
> an
> > > Excel takes a few minutes, then generates a 7 MB file. Attempting to
> open
> > > that file in Excel 2003 pegs my CPU utlilzation at 100%, and Excel
> > steadily
> > > consumes 8K of RAM per second, yet nothing happens. Excel will either
> > > display as "Not Responding" in Task Manager, or will display "Running"
> and
> > I
> > > cannot switch back to Excel.
> > >
> > > I can export to CSV and Excel will open it with no issues. However,
> > > exporting to Excel is critical to our business' use of Reporting
> Services.
> > >
> > > Please advise if anyone has a workaround or is encountering this
issue.
> > > --
> > > Aaron Berquist
> > > Business Systems Analyst, Information Services
> > > Open Text Corporation
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>|||There is also a deviceinfo setting to put the page header into the Excel
header, rather than the sheets.
--
Brian Welcker
Group Program Manager
SQL Server Reporting Services
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
news:%23TxUDQLcEHA.3012@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Well, I solved the problem!
> The header on the report was causing the issue, as the fields were not
> lined
> up with the data columns on my report, so I think Excel was goign nuts
> trying to parse out all the merged columns. By making sure that the
> descriptions in the header matched eneded at the same point as a column,
> the
> file now takes about 50 secs to open on a Pentium 3 1Ghz machine.
> So, when designing a header, make sure your test boxes line up with your
> columns!
> Thanks,
> Aaron
> "Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
> news:erwtoi$bEHA.2408@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Any progress on this issue?
>> "Nico Cristache [MSFT]" <nipirvan@.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:eU3AjxCaEHA.4052@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Could you send me the excel file generated for a smaller number rows,
>> > please?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Nico Cristache [MSFT]
>> > Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
>> >
>> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>> >
>> >
>> > "Aaron Berquist" <aberquis@.opentext.com> wrote in message
>> > news:e0DFZ2BaEHA.3404@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> > > I've got an issue I cannot seem to address. We've upgraded to SP1,
>> > > and
> I
>> > > still am not able to open Excel files exported from Reporting
>> > > Services
>> if
>> > > they contain more than a few hundred rows.
>> > >
>> > > For example, I have a report which contains 1453 records. Exporting
>> > > to
>> an
>> > > Excel takes a few minutes, then generates a 7 MB file. Attempting to
>> open
>> > > that file in Excel 2003 pegs my CPU utlilzation at 100%, and Excel
>> > steadily
>> > > consumes 8K of RAM per second, yet nothing happens. Excel will either
>> > > display as "Not Responding" in Task Manager, or will display
>> > > "Running"
>> and
>> > I
>> > > cannot switch back to Excel.
>> > >
>> > > I can export to CSV and Excel will open it with no issues. However,
>> > > exporting to Excel is critical to our business' use of Reporting
>> Services.
>> > >
>> > > Please advise if anyone has a workaround or is encountering this
> issue.
>> > > --
>> > > Aaron Berquist
>> > > Business Systems Analyst, Information Services
>> > > Open Text Corporation
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment