Sunday, February 26, 2012

Event Log and SQL Server Agent

Hi Helper,
When I boot me server up, I always get an alert that says at least one
service or driver failed. I checked all of the logs in the event viewer.
The error is in the Application log. When I look at the properties of the
error I get a dialog box that has the description "Unable to read the
eventlog (Reason: The event log has changed between read operations). The
Source is SQLSERVERAGENT, the Category is Alert Engine, and the Event ID is
318.
How do I resolve this problem? What can I do to prevent getting this Alert
message and get this fixed?
Thanks,
KeithThat's nothing to worry about.
That message isn't the service failing to start, have a look in Event Viewer
(System). This is more likely to contain the service that's failing.
HTH
Ryan Waight, MCDBA, MCSE
"Keith Norris" <klnorris@.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:naqdna69F685MjaiRVn-gg@.comcast.com...
> Hi Helper,
> When I boot me server up, I always get an alert that says at least one
> service or driver failed. I checked all of the logs in the event viewer.
> The error is in the Application log. When I look at the properties of the
> error I get a dialog box that has the description "Unable to read the
> eventlog (Reason: The event log has changed between read operations). The
> Source is SQLSERVERAGENT, the Category is Alert Engine, and the Event ID
is
> 318.
> How do I resolve this problem? What can I do to prevent getting this
Alert
> message and get this fixed?
> Thanks,
> Keith
>|||There are no errors in the event viewer (System). There are only warnings
or information. There are no errors in the other event viewers either such
as Directory Service, DNS Server, File Replication Service, Service, or
Security. There are only messages of type Information and Warning. The
original message I describe below is of type Error with an X in a red
circle. Isn't it only the error messages rather than the information and
warning messages that cause the alerts? I do not want the Alert Message
saying at least on service or driver failed on boot up. I hope this
provides you with additional information to help me solve the problem. I'm
new to networking and database administration.
Thanks,
Keith
"Ryan Waight" <Ryan_Waight@.nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OH$E06TpDHA.3844@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> That's nothing to worry about.
> That message isn't the service failing to start, have a look in Event
Viewer
> (System). This is more likely to contain the service that's failing.
>
> --
> HTH
> Ryan Waight, MCDBA, MCSE
> "Keith Norris" <klnorris@.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:naqdna69F685MjaiRVn-gg@.comcast.com...
> > Hi Helper,
> >
> > When I boot me server up, I always get an alert that says at least one
> > service or driver failed. I checked all of the logs in the event
viewer.
> > The error is in the Application log. When I look at the properties of
the
> > error I get a dialog box that has the description "Unable to read the
> > eventlog (Reason: The event log has changed between read operations).
The
> > Source is SQLSERVERAGENT, the Category is Alert Engine, and the Event ID
> is
> > 318.
> >
> > How do I resolve this problem? What can I do to prevent getting this
> Alert
> > message and get this fixed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Keith
> >
> >
>|||We can ensure it's not SQL Server causing the 'Service Failed to Start
message' in the following manner.
In Control Services :-
Set the startup of SQLServerAgent and MSSQLServer to Manual
Stop both services
Clear all 3 Event Logs.
Reboot the Server.
The SQL Services are now not trying to start, if the Service didn't start
message appears it definalty hasn't come from SQL.
Alternitavly, Control Panel / Servcies.
Look at every service, ensure those with a Startup Type of AutoMatic are
all Status = Started.
If you have any Automatic starters that are not Started -- bingo...
HTH
Ryan Waight, MCDBA, MCSE
"Keith Norris" <klnorris@.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:gPKdnVEvmuxEIjaiRVn-jw@.comcast.com...
> There are no errors in the event viewer (System). There are only warnings
> or information. There are no errors in the other event viewers either
such
> as Directory Service, DNS Server, File Replication Service, Service, or
> Security. There are only messages of type Information and Warning. The
> original message I describe below is of type Error with an X in a red
> circle. Isn't it only the error messages rather than the information and
> warning messages that cause the alerts? I do not want the Alert Message
> saying at least on service or driver failed on boot up. I hope this
> provides you with additional information to help me solve the problem.
I'm
> new to networking and database administration.
> Thanks,
> Keith
> "Ryan Waight" <Ryan_Waight@.nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OH$E06TpDHA.3844@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > That's nothing to worry about.
> >
> > That message isn't the service failing to start, have a look in Event
> Viewer
> > (System). This is more likely to contain the service that's failing.
> >
> >
> > --
> > HTH
> > Ryan Waight, MCDBA, MCSE
> >
> > "Keith Norris" <klnorris@.comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:naqdna69F685MjaiRVn-gg@.comcast.com...
> > > Hi Helper,
> > >
> > > When I boot me server up, I always get an alert that says at least one
> > > service or driver failed. I checked all of the logs in the event
> viewer.
> > > The error is in the Application log. When I look at the properties of
> the
> > > error I get a dialog box that has the description "Unable to read the
> > > eventlog (Reason: The event log has changed between read operations).
> The
> > > Source is SQLSERVERAGENT, the Category is Alert Engine, and the Event
ID
> > is
> > > 318.
> > >
> > > How do I resolve this problem? What can I do to prevent getting this
> > Alert
> > > message and get this fixed?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Keith
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment